Join our team! We have an immediate opening for an assistant in our afterschool program. See job description here and follow instructions to apply. Applicant MUST be available for the days and times listed. There is not flexibility on the arrival or departure time.
PART TIME Afterschool Assistant Job Description
Position Summary: The Afterschool Assistant works in the Aquinas Center afterschool program on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday afternoons from 2:30pm-6:00pm. The assistant will be partnering with other staff and volunteers to help the afterschool program run smoothly.
Supervision: The Afterschool Assistant reports to the Afterschool Program Coordinator
Duties: The Afterschool Assistant will help:
- Set up snack
- Staff the attendance/check in process
- Welcome learners and practice kindness, generosity, and hospitality to
everyone in the classroom
- Assist with homework completion across Grades 1st-6th
- Lead a program block once each week (example: STEM, folklore, global solidarity)
- Staff check-out/departure process
- Clean up the classroom at the end of program
- Assist coordinator with close up procedures
Position Requirements: An ideal candidate will be:
- Dependable, on time, and communicative. Someone who can commit and reliably show up each day (Mon-Wed), every week during the program year.
- High energy when interacting with children and youth
- Bilingual in Spanish and English (Ideal, but some flexibility)
- Experience working with elementary school children in a learning space (catechism, Sunday School, afterschool, summer camp, story hour, etc.)
- Outgoing and takes initiative
- Must have PA Child Abuse clearance, PA Criminal Background check, and FBI Fingerprint clearance prior to application. Must attend a VIRTUS training prior
to employment start date.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and a high school graduate/GED.
- $9-$11/hour depending on experience.
Commitment: November 2018 through May 2019 with potential to work in summer camp if the person is a good fit.
To Apply: Write cover letter in body of the email and attach resume. Email to Business@aquinascenterphilly.org. No calls please.
‡ ‡ ‡
About Aquinas Center: Aquinas Center is located on the campus of St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church in a multilingual, intercultural neighborhood of Philadelphia, PA. The parish convent was repurposed in 2013 in response to growing demand from community members for a welcoming space to offer mutual support and foster shared understanding across boundaries of class, race, ethnicity, language and geographic distance. The result is the Aquinas Center, with a mission to build unity in diversity, support learning, and inspire thoughtful action.
Aquinas Center maintains a policy of non-discrimination with respect to
employees and applicants for employment.